[Dailydrool] Feeding Isabella

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 08:46:48 PDT 2010

Hi Karen,

When I first got Annie (also from a puppy mill), she wouldn't get off the couch, not even to eat.  I used to bring her bowl over, sit on the floor by the couch, scoop up the food and she would eat it out of my hands.  From that, we moved to me putting the bowl on the couch.  She would stand on the couch and eat it (after I'd gone back in the kitchen.)  Eventually, I was able to put the bowl on the floor next to the couch and she would get down and eat it.  Now, she still eats in the living room, but inside the front door (she will still stop eating momentarily if I walk into the living room, but then will go back to eating once she sees that I'm not interested in her or her food!)  Some people thought I was nuts hand-feeding her, and then letting her stand on the couch and eat.  But, like you, I wasn't going to let her starve, and was determined to do anything I could to make her feel comfortable.  I also read that, when a dog takes food from you, it is a sign of trust.  I figured that hand-feeding her was helping to build her trust in me.

Good luck with Isabella!  I say, whatever works, go for it!!

Rose, Annie and Fred (Annie is very high-maintenance...typical girl!)