[Dailydrool] Wake-Up Call

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 04:29:41 PDT 2010

It is dark. I am stuffed under my comforter all warm and cozy and, need I
add, sound asleep.
Sleeping arrangements are thus: Conley's crate is right next to the end of
my bed, so close I have to lift my legs over the edge of it to get up.
Nigel's crate is maybe 3.5 feet from the bed by my desk. I cannot reach it
from the bed but it is only a few inches too far.
Llewis has no crate because he gets uncomfortable in the small space
overnight, he has to get up and move around. (And besides he
behaves.) Cooper sleeps either in the living room or in the bedroom with
John.
And I am sound asleep. It is 2:08. Dark, cozy.
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
And I am up, practically standing on the bed, heart pounding, eyes bulging.
WHAT THE---?? I flip on the light. Nigel is sitting half up in his crate,
ears perked, staring into the night.
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I look at Conley. He is sound asleep, but his rock-hard head is raised
slightly off his pillow (yeah ok, I know)  and his mouth perfectly formed
for howling. I say his name. No answer. His head is down and his eyes
closed. He is asleep. Nigel and I kind of look at each other, and in that
moment there passes between us a complete conversation, in English: we
understand each other perfectly. He sighs, lowers his head and unperks his
ears. I spend another five minutes sitting up with the light on waiting for
my heart rate to return to some semblance of normal, waiting for the next
howl, but Conley has moved on, in his dreams to something silent. Thank
God!! I turn out the light and snuggle down. It takes me about an hour to
stop twitching at every movement from the crates.....

If the Village sirens ever break, I have a substitute for them...

MomPerson to Nigel (Holy -----!!!) Llewis (What did I miss?) Conley () and
Cooper (See why I sleep in another room?)