[Dailydrool] Spondylosis deformans

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 28 19:21:20 PDT 2010

Although I have been told this is a painless condition and is normally an incidental finding (not the cause of the problem) it can indicate underlying instability in the spine.  Bascially what happens is the spine is not stable whether due to laxity in muscles or tendons or conformation of the spine and the bones starts forming bridges to stabilize the spine.  (Isn't the body amazing! Or I'm just a dork that likes this stuff)
It is possible that Oz has other back issues going on that are not visible on radiograph but would be seen on MRI or CT.  If these are not an option then pain meds and strict rest (kennel, go on leash out to pee/poo and that's it) can be tried.  If neurologic signs develop and become severe then the spinal cord may be compressed (read - REALLY BAD).  How old is Oz?  Perhaps a longer run of Rimadyl and rest and then wean off the Rimadyl.  Start on SOD and Boswellia - which I now recommend for patients thanks to the Drool (you guys rock).

More info at this link:http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/saortho/chapter_61/61mast.htm

Good Luck!
Laura
Flash