[Dailydrool] big dog on leash

bassetsdrool bassetsdrool at cox.net
Mon Mar 29 10:36:37 PDT 2010

I totally understand your concern and yes work with local trainer, check
back with rescue for trainers they may work with too.

I can only speak as a foster home who has fostered over 30 dogs that past
3.5 years.  Our rescue requires that the dog is in a  foster home for
evaluation for minimum of 2 weeks before they can be adopted out.  In that
two weeks we try our best (we are all volunteers, many with 2 or more
fosters as we have 80 in our foster care) to determine the dogs personality,
how they get along with other dogs, cats, kids but that isn't always
possible as they may not walk them with large dog around or have kids, or
cats.  If there are any training issues we do address them and try to tell
adopters the good and bad things about the dog..we want this to be a forever
home for the dog so we really want to disclose it all.  We even have a
trainer we refer them to and may at times offer to pay for training (case by
case and if we have the money which is low this year).  BUT sometimes they
get into new home and new behaviors show up which happens so there is not
much a rescue group can do.  Yes I agree that all rescue groups should
address any dog issues before adoption and/or disclose this to new adopters
but what if they never show this tendency?  Thank you to all who adopt,
donate, foster the so many dogs that need the rescue groups as the numbers
just keep increasing for intake.  Hope the economy turns around sometime
soon to help the humans and their pets all over!

Kim, Slave to Joanie & Herbie