[Dailydrool] Jane Hays post

Chris Bly jbly1 at kc.rr.com
Mon Mar 29 17:49:01 PDT 2010

Thank you Jane for explaining about how foster dogs personalities change. It is usually always the same with each aggressive dog we get into rescue the first several months they lay back and analyze their new situation and once they become familiar they revert back to their old protective ways. I have had several fosters who were so submissive for weeks they seemed sweet and shy then one day they snap.
I try to be as honest as I can about the dogs we have in rescue, for one thing, I do not want any accidents or surprizes, I want the adopter to be happy with their new adoption. But animals can be unpredictable and you never know what will trigger an unwelcome response.
 I had one foster dog for two months he was so shy and sweet then one day I said in a stern voice NO! when he snapped at another  dog while I was giving treats and the dogs eyes turned glassy and he looked wild as he came after me he bit my leg tore a hunk of skin off my thigh through my jeans, and then he lunged again and took another bite out of my leg, I put my hands out to protect my leg and he tore three of my fingertips off. I finally got ahold of the broom and put it between us and I escaped into the bathroom and stuck my fingertips back on with steri strips and bandaged my leg. Ten minutes later he was sweet as pie. You never know what these dogs have been through and what will trigger them. Their owners who surrender them definitely do not tell us the truth.