[Dailydrool] Basset quirks

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 29 18:15:13 PDT 2010

To the lady worried that bassets are a peck or bushel of trouble with all types of sicknesses, please relax.  Bassets are the most wonderful creatures.  I have been living with them for 27 years in April when we got our first puppy, April Sassafrass.  She was soon followed by Daisy May in May.  We knew absolutely nothing about them and were in for an exciting learning curve.  Puppies are babies and act like them.  They put things in their mouths that they shouldn't like wine and wallpaper.  They cry some when they are lonely.  They chew occasionally.  BUT, they grow into the most beautiful height challenged souls imanginable.  Our first two were sisters and were the best.  We had them before we had kids.  They even adapted to that and were always patient and loving.

They had their illnesses and problems.  They were prone to cysts and had lousey gums.  They pulled the occasional muscle.  They sometimes did things in the house.  And yes, they shed and shed.  They have both been gone since 1996 and I would give almost anything to spend another day with them.  They were my babies.

Then we got Sherlock, another puppy.  Didn't know about used bassets back then.  Sherlock was a trip.  He was the boys' best bud.  He didn't play but he was good at supervising them.  He left two and a half years ago on his own terms.  What a guy.

Then we learned about used or resue bassets.  Sunny entered the picture in the summer of 1996.  She was a thick boned, lowrider who had been left at the humane society with no information.  I know why they left her.  She was mean.  She didn't like us much.  When I called the people who fostered her because she bit the DHm, they said they would have her put to sleep.  So she stayed with us for 12 years.  She probably worried Sherlock to death.  We loved her; she snarled at us.  She NEVER forgot the abuse she suffered but allowed us to wait on her if we did it her way.  She bonded with Josh, the kidslave who was just as crabby as she was.  I still miss her sour looking old face.  She stayed until her heart and lungs just didn't work anymore.  I always thought she was too mean to die.

We now have all pre-owned bassets.  Ninja was found running loose with another basset.  Her people only wanted the other one back.  She is snoozing by my side like normal.  Marley was living in an apartment and was eating the master bedroom, one piece at a time.  She ruined the carpet, two crates and the bedspread before finding us.  She has not eaten or destroyed one thing here. She is my footstool right now.  Has to keep an eye on me in case I go out or eat something.  Maggie was put in the local shelter because her people got a divorce and were living in places that didn't allow dogs.  I couldn't leave her in that little cage.  She is such a smooshy girl.  And Shelby who is 14 going on 5.  She is proof that bassets can adapt to almost anything.  Her person died and no one wanted her.  She was well fed and still is.  She walked into the basset den with three other dogs she had never seen.  They met, they sniffed, and they got along and still do every day. She is a very well padded bundle of love.

None of our bassets has ever had any difficult health issues.  Shelby is healty as a horse and gets around beautifully at her age.

Marley had her cyst episode and had it removed but has not had any more problems.  We have been blessed with dogs who have not bloated or had major health issues.  Sassy, our first basset, had seisures, but we lived with them.  They were not very frequent so we were able to cope.  Bassets are sturdy, loving, bundles of energy and fun.  They are also stubborn, loud, drooly, hairy and sometimes stinky.  There is nowhere I would rather be than in a room full of bassets--unless it was on a beach with my bassets.  The adventure that began all those years ago continues and is never dull or boring.

I'll stop blithering about my favorite subject.  Shelby needs to go outside.  She is bellowing at me.  Wouldn't want to keep an old lady waiting.

Basset mommy to Ninja Marie, Snarley Marley, Maggie McGoo, and Shelby, also known as Shelbert, Shelberta, Shelbs, Sherbert, and the list goes on.....