[Dailydrool] DD, Vol 104, Issue 4 - Sickly Bassets

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Tue Mar 30 10:29:38 PDT 2010

Maureen,

I have had many bassets over the years, and I have not had any hounds with
stomach, skin, or ear  issues.  Most of my hounds lived to be 12-14 years
old, which is normal for bassets and were healthy up until they got older.
Most went to the bridge because of old age and internal organs just wear
out, most were kidney failures. One herniated a disc and was paralyzed with
a low chance of recovery and a high chance of recurrence so we assisted him
to the bridge (Quality of life vs. quantity). And another hound crossed over
due to cancer.   But these are things that all breeds face, and all breeds
have other illnesses that they are prone to.  Bassets are prone to skin,&
stomach issues  as are most types of hounds.  Entropion in most wrinkle face
dogs, breathing problems with any short nose dogs, back problems with long
dogs, and hip dysplasia in large breed dogs.

 It sounds like a lot of these sweet hounds are rescues.and only god knows
what sort of past these hounds had to endure, some may have been from puppy
mills or breeders that just cared about making money and not of the health
of the dogs that they were producing.  And some may have come from abusive
or neglectful homes.  Thank doG that they were rescued and have found human
angels that will love them and give them the best life possible no matter
what their behavioral or health issues are.  Or they are just senior bassets
with senior basset health issues.

Basset in general are pretty healthy dogs.  The best that we can do for any
breed of dog, and human for that matter is to give them the best care
possible.  Feed them the best food that you can afford, keep them clean(to
include a bassets ears), vaccinated, and exercised. Keep them at a good
weight, lean enough that they have a waist line but not so lean that you can
easily feel ribs and you should never be able to see their ribs.  Find a
good vet!  Keep them on heartworm and flea prevention.   And most of all
show them lots and lots of love and attention.  Also don't hesitate to take
your hound to the vet if any issues arise that you are unsure of how to
treat, better to be safe than sorry.  I would also recommend reading a good
dog/basset  hound  1st aide book.  Any droolers out there have any
recommendations???

I hope that this helps to relieve some of your fears

Jonathan, William, Justin and Jade, I am so sorry to hear that poor Lily
went to the Bridge.I'm sure that my Storm ATB will be waiting there to look
after her. Storm was the most attentive father basset that I ever had. even
more so than the mothers.

Love and healing drool to all the ill houndies....get well soon!
Michele (The Momma),
Colt & Ruger the lean mean squirrle chasing machines