[Dailydrool] ASVAB Position Paper on Socialization

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Wed Mar 31 00:06:37 PDT 2010

http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/puppy%20socialization.pdf

I think this is a must read for all breeders and people who are making decisions for very young dogs.  I recommend giving copies to your local vet as well.  Whether you agree or not, it is important to be aware and know that now there are veterinarians making these suggestions.  Socialization starts for puppies once the eyes are open and they begin to focus, at around 16 days or so.  I watch for them to begin to discriminate shapes and then I know the game is on.

I do my best to carry puppies around with hand sanitizer, and baby food for treats, and not put them on ground that is commonly used by other dogs.  That way they can experience buses, trucks, people with odd hats, people in wheelchairs, vets without just going to get shots or treatments, people approaching to touch them and open mouths, etc..but just getting treats and rewards,   I feel like I don't do enough, but I keep a checklist of experiences and keep working on getting them to experience all.  If you would like my checklist, you can email me.

And people who love their dogs and do their best for them don't do things wrong.  We all make mistakes sometimes, and sometimes dogs are more sensitive and pick up on one odd occurance.  S**t can happen.  But once we know it is there, then we can work to do something to help it.

Sara*