[Dailydrool] Our trip to the vet last night - questions...

Annette Mucci canine.inspirations at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 07:24:25 PDT 2010

Have you ever had a trip to the vet that caused you to go home and open a bottle of wine?
I did last night.

This was Schroeder's first unpleasant vet visit since he was neutered.  So we get there and he is shaking like a leaf.  Poor kiddo.  We go back to get weighed.  He pees on the weight stand.  UGH.

We go into the room, the vet lady comes in, he pees as soon as she starts to pet him.  UGH.
We lift him onto the exam table.  He pees again, only this time all over my arm and hand. UGH.
She lifts the tail to take a look, pee again.  Dear doG almighty.

I look at them and I am like I swear he pooped and peed before we left the house tonight!!!  They laugh.  Haha this happens all the time.  I'm not laughing.  I'm starting to stress out and I feel really bad that my poor boy is so upset that he is nervous peeing.

So because the tech had a hold of the front end and of course I'm on the back end with the vet, I get the pleasure of the whole anal gland thing and some more pee on my hands.  Whoa baby.

THEN, after all that, the vet techs are all hyped up because they love his nails and decide they want to trim them.  Are you frekking kidding me?  I just trimmed them and after all this, you think they should be shorter.  SO, ok, we get on the floor.  peeing starts again.  Good thing I wore my work clothes.. LOL!

So here are my questions...

How do anal glands get infected?  Am I doing something wrong at home or can this just happen at any time?

Can I look at the vets and tech and say no to nail trimming?  Jeff and I do this pretty regularly.  I felt like they wanted to practice on him because he had such good nails.  I am still a little miffed about this.

We are now on Clavamox for 10 days and I have some sort of drops that I am putting on the area back there.  Re-check scheduled in 10 days.  I never saw my baby boy sleep so hard on the couch as he did last night...

We send our love and drool to all...

Annette, Maya, Cassie (atb), Schroeder, & Sophie