[Dailydrool] colors

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 19:16:04 PDT 2010

I will only speak of the current pack, but there were three before this gang, and they are not forgotten, in fact, Fred ATB (2000) made me so sad that I think it was what made Mom launch the basset overload.
Anyway,  Pumpkin was a pure black puppy when we recused her from NSAL, 8 wks old.  She quickly turned black and tan, and her tan is getting lighter and lighter.  She will be 10 in late August.  Next, Jean Paul, also almost all black as a puppy, still mostly black, but the muzzle getting very tan.  Then Pierre Sr., passed  last Oct., a little over 7 years old, mostly white and black with some brown, never changed color, except getting more and more naughty spots, but I called them sweet spots,  I will pass on my rhetoric about him (hugs big Guy, ATB), Jellybean, 7 yrs, no color change, a dark tri, Nigel and Colette, litter mates, red and white, Nigel fading in the muzzle and looking older than he should, but he had extreme surgery on both elbows as a 7 mo. old puppy, Colette not fading much, but she has developed a shoulder white spot that was not there before.  Also, she has developed a bat wing, extra long hairs in one small spot.  Has been Vet checked????  Max, the 5 year old is looking very old, but he is a rescue who most likely started life with abuse.  His muzzle is very grey and he is a nearly all black hound.  We got him at 8/9 mo., and he had a lot of complaints of his past life to talk about, and we listened, and he is quite happy now.  Nikki is only 3, no real changes yet, same with Pierre jr. only a little over one.
When I was in my 20's, 30's and 40's, I died my hair every crazy color (music business).  Then one day, I went to a health food store, and the matron warned me about hair dye and someone she knew who developed brain cancer from it.  That was enough to scare me to stop the process, plus it is expensive, painful and a real big pain.  I am grey blonde now, and this is OK.  And I agree, when I was going through the red phase, it was the hardest color to maintain.  Faded quick.
Hugs and love,
Jackie and the natural herd