[Dailydrool] Snakes

Susan Green Suzyvette at satx.rr.com
Sat May 22 08:09:40 PDT 2010

I have a question for everyone.  What can I do to keep snakes out of my yard?

I was watching the news last night when they did a story about snakes in a sub-division in San Antonio.  I'm looking and the houses look really familiar :)   And I'm looking at the storm drains that caused the problem and they look just like the one across the street from my house.  And then they mentioned the name of the sub-division....and it's where Holly Noelle and I live.

The storm drains go into a retention pond and that is where the snakes have been seen - 4 Water Moccasins in the pond and a Rattlesnake on someone's front lawn.

Holly is never out in the yard for more than 5 or 10 minutes, especially in the summer when it's so hot.  And I'm usually standing at the door watching her.  Now that I know this I will always be there watching while she is in the yard.

I've already called my Vet and he suggested a vacination for Rattlesnakes, but he does not keep the antivenin in stock, but the ER closest to me does.  The ER is not open during the day, but Holly's groomer gave me the phone number for another Vet close to us that does stock it.  So I know where to go if I have to, but would prefer figuring out what to do to keep them out of my back yard.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Suz