[Dailydrool] Catching up

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 19:05:28 PDT 2010

I've been sending direct e-mail condolences, and am off to Macy's this afternoon to get a gift card for the Honnolds. (Although my husband and I often shop at WalMart, my once-upon-a-time teenage stepdaughter would not have been caught dead there and only stooped to frequent Macy's, so I figured the teenage granddaughter might be similar). When I was very much younger, I lived in an apartment house that burned to the ground while I was out with my dog. After this experience, I realized that what mattered to me was my life and the dog's. I am heartbroken over the loss of Holly and Noah. Like so many others, I have been crying and hugging my hounds.

Maureen and Synthia--I loved your stories. I hope you were just joking, Maureen, when your neighbor wished you dead. I love your spirit. And Synthia, run if you hear banjoes. Brenda, how cool is that, that you know the band members of a band called "Flogging Molly"? Small world.

I had a funny experience last night too. Our terrified-of-many-things hound, Bo, found a new way to defend himself. He is a basically a lover, not a fighter. My landlady is out of town and I am feeding her cat. The cat is fairly ferocious, but has decided it likes Harley and Bo (after a history of hissing at them). Last night I was coming up our steps with both hounds on leashes and arms full of grocery bags. The cat, Popoki, came strolling up to us, stroking herself up one side of Harley and down the other. Harley was delighted. Then Popoki approached Bo, who was terrified and pulled back as far as he could on his leash. I couldn't let go or I would drop the groceries. The cat kept coming. So Bo planted all four feet on the ground and let out the loudest bay/bellow I have ever heard. A fog horn amplified. It blew Popoki right off the porch. No one seems to have been overly traumatized. Popoki is back today, sleeping in front of our door. Go, Bo, on your
 inventiveness.

Aloha to all. Val, Bo, and Harley