[Dailydrool] Looking for experiences with Distemper

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 19:34:54 PDT 2010

Good evening all,

The Drool has been filled with such sad news - some of which is almost impossible to fathom.   My wish for all of those who have experienced loss of their loved ones, is peace and healing.

One month ago today I pulled a 1 to 3 year old basset boy from the Miami animal control.  This facility is known to have a particularly nasty strain of kennel cough that I call the Miami crud.  It's so rough on the dogs that get it.  About 3 days after I pulled this little boy, he started getting sick.  The progression of the condition was swift and it went straight downhill, with him developing pneumonia and going from a 2.5 body score down to a 1 in a matter of two weeks.  Although he is now eating, his symptoms continue and it appears that he may have distemper.  I've had parvo puppies before but this is my first experience with distemper, assuming that is what he has.  He has not shown any neurological symptoms yet (and I pray he doesn't) but I would like to know if any of my fellow rescuers have had any experience on supportive therapies to help him through this.  He is getting two nebulizer treatments a day with albuterol, along with a homeopathic
 treatment for the wasting.  I have put him on Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics and he is getting Vitamin B complex injections every other day.  His eyes are a mess with the green gunk so he is getting eye antibiotics 3 times a day.  What else can I do to help him through this?   I apologize for the length of this but I need to know what has worked for others.

Thanks and please send Sammy some Drool if you have any to spare.  He is such a sweet little boy.

Pam Farris
Basset Rescue of Florida, Inc.
www.BassetRescueFlorida.com