[Dailydrool] Looking for experiences with Distemper

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 01:18:48 PDT 2010

Pam,

First we are sending Sammy healing healthy drool and no distemper drool.  Your both are
in our prayers.

I don't have any experience with distemper but there are a couple more supportive
measures I can suggest for the pneumonia.  When Tucker (ATB) had pneumonia I
keep a humidifier running by his crate 24/7 to help loosen  and thin the mucous.  I also
did percussion on his lungs 4 times a day after his nebulizer treatments.  To do percussion
you have them lay at a 45 degree angle with the head lower than the tush.  Cup your
hand and pat along the lung field and the front of the chest, then turn them over and
repeat.  I did percussion for about 7-8 minutes on each side.   Of course I took Tucker in
the bathroom every time I shower just so he had the added moisture to help loosen up
the gunk.  I used saline in the neb 2x day in between the albuterol treatments.  I also used
Immuno DMG which is an immune booster.  Between everything Tucker recovered from
the aspiration pneumonia.

I did split his meals in to more frequent but smaller portions and gave beef heart and chicken
to increase his protein intake.  Smaller meals help to conserve energy.  I know when I am sick
the last thing I want to see is a big meal.

Give Sammy a soft snooter smooch for us.  Thank you so much for coming to his rescue.
Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang