[Dailydrool] Graying dogs

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Mon May 3 21:29:39 PDT 2010

In my experience, the red fur in dogs tends to gray as the dogs age.  Having
had a LOT of red bassets, I can say that by the time they are 8 or 9, any
red fur has lightened in color (looks faded) due to graying.  I have seen
this consistently with open red/whites and blanket reds and even with a
mahogany.  I think it is a perfectly natural process.  As a red-head myself
and coming from a family with several red-heads, I know first-hand that red
hair in humans also tends to fade and gray earlier than darker hair (thank
you Lady Clairol!).  My tri dogs usually only gray on the muzzle and top of
the head.

Sandi Wittenberg
Red Bay Bassets