[Dailydrool] Fur turning white

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Tue May 4 07:09:03 PDT 2010

<<I know this is going to sound goofy. But I have a red/white Basset whose
hair around her hips is turning white. My holistic vet says it is not
natural for animals to gray or white out on their bodies. graying of the
muzzle is different .>>

Doesn't sound goofy to me. Our tri-colored Abner has grayed on his
hindquarters. Alexis, who was a lemon and white, may have done the same
thing, since she had darker patches in some places, but her back area seemed
to be lighter in most places.

Another thing that seemed to cause Alexis to fade was, I think, being fed
lousy food. When we got her, she was mostly white. After living with us for
a while as a foster, she started getting more color to her. I can only
assume it was the food or good medical care, since we provided both in
abundance.

Oh, how I miss that lovely girl.

It has always seemed to me that red and white (or lemon) hounds fade more
than tri's as they age. Is it just me, or have other Droolers noticed that
too?
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets