[Dailydrool] Overweight Senior

Tom Hickcox cometkazie1 at cox.net
Sun May 9 12:23:15 PDT 2010

At 11:40 5/9/2010, you wrote:

>hi
>
>I'm looking for food recommendations for an overweight senior.  I
>was / am giving nutra max.  Today was her annual appt & the vet
>recommended pro plan, iams & science diet.
>
>thanks in advance
>Janine
>Hunter J., Porkchop & Hoagie

I would suggest whatever you feed your girl that you purchase a
decent kitchen scale and weigh the portions.

I have been feeding my Myrtle Iams products since I got her the fall
of 2003 and quickly discovered there is quite a bit of bag to bag
variation of the bulk density of their kibble.  I just went in and
weighed a cup that I measured very carefully, and it weighed 106
grams.  Over the years I have done this with different bags and the
variation was plus or minus 20%, so you could be under- or overfeeding.

The reasons for this variation are a lot of things.  The shape of the
kibble varies a lot from spherical to almost flat.  The former weighs
less than the latter, everything else being the same.  The color of
the kibble varies, often within the same bag.  I assume they have
blended different lines to get the parameters they want.  The density
of the food itself likely varies, also.  On top of this, measuring
cups are hardly accurate or consistent

So my first suggestion is the purchase of a decent scale.  I have had
real good service from Salter scales.  You will have to determine
from the kibble's label how many grams are in a cup and go from
there.  A little study is required some times to get this
information, but it's there.  I have had absolutely no success trying
to talk about this with Iams' customer service reps.  The ones I've
talked to have no idea of varying bulk density.

My late wife lost her first basset to her being overweight and she
was a fanatic for not letting her subsequent hound ladies get
overweight and I am continuing the effort.  Weighing portions gets
around a number of inconsistencies.

Tommy H in Baton Rouge