[Dailydrool] Bel update

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon May 10 09:32:46 PDT 2010

I have been trying to wait a while, so I would have a firm diagnosis to
report for Bel. But today I read e-mail and someone wrote about Bel and
diabetes insipidus, so I guess I have to correct things.

Early last week I brought Bel in to have another urinalysis for his specific
gravity levels (the thing that indicates diabetes). Well, wouldn't you know,
his levels were in the low normal range--no diabetes insipidus.

So, long story short, we have to do the ultrasound. I hope this will be the
last test. At least it should give us a clear picture on at least four
things it could (or won't) be. Bel goes in tomorrow, and our vet has
arranged for someone who is really good at it to do the test.

We would appreciate drool that Bel's problem will be diagnosed and that it
will not be something truly awful. After Abner's cancer diagnosis, I am
really concerned for Bel, my heart dog.

I have to thank everyone who gave me advice on dealing with the peeing
problem. Bellybands and Poise pads have worked wonderfully. We no longer
have peed-on floors (at least, not from Bel).

I would also like to recommend the waterproof blankets that I got from Plow
and Hearth:

http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?section_id=0&department=0&search_type=normal&search_value=pet%20throw&cur_index=&pcode=10326

They were not expensive and work like a dream, but I am glad I got two,
since it takes both of them to cover my couch. (One would probably fit a
love seat.)  They wash well and really do the job. I even put one on the bed
at night. They could be rather warm in hotter weather, but that's been the
only problem I've had. I figure I will put a sheet over it when the hotter
weather comes, to try to keep myself cool--if needs be I will put on the air
conditioner. Bel has had no objections at all and seems to like to sleep on
them, especially on the couch.

If necessary, we can keep up our current methods for as long as is needed. I
appreciate all the advice and help that have made this possible.
Pam, with all the Dashing Bassets