[Dailydrool] Update on 5 Florida Seniors

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 17:26:02 PDT 2010

Hi All,
I wanted to update you on the fate of the 5 Florida seniors in central Florida.  There was 1 male and 4 females, ranging in age from 8 to 10 (reportedly).  The shelter says they belonged to a mentally ill man who didn't take care of them well and he finally became so ill he had to be institutionalized.  They were then brought to the shelter by a neighbor and left.  Someone came and adopted the male, which then left the 4 girls.  I had contacted a volunteer that lives in the area and explained that I was no longer able to take bassets in from that county due to my own health but did she have any ideas.  It came to the end of time for the girls and so Carol pulled them and has taken it upon herself to find them homes rather than let them be put down.  I'm working with her to resolve their health issues and needs.  They were all suffering from what appears to be flea allergy problems, have ear infections, skin problems, lumps, tumors, and all need serious
 teeth care including cleaning and probably many teeth pulled.  Thankfully they were already spayed and they tested heartworm negative and the shelter gave them rabies shots.  I am running these old gals through my vet so that Carol can get the rescue prices for their care.  I know I had several offers of financial assistance so if you would like to donate through the rescue, any of those funds will be applied to the vet bills for the 4 girls.  At least one of them is much older than 10 and appears to be bonded to another one.  Carol has 7 bassets of her own so can't keep any of them - she is paying a neighbor to keep them at her house during their treatments and recovery.  So first the medical care and then homes.   I'll post pictures as I can.   Please contact me if you would like to donate to their care.  I appreciate Carol for stepping up and saving these precious bassets and for those offers of help from the Drool.

Thanks,
Pam

Pam Farris
Basset Rescue of Florida, Inc.