[Dailydrool] Unrelated Bassets

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 19:34:43 PDT 2010

Nigel and Llewis are littermates. They do not have any memories of one being
without the other. Nevertheless, they squabble. Llewis is neutered, Nigel is
not.
Conley is not related to either one and is younger by 2 yrs and is intact.
He and Nigel spend a lot of time eyeballing and squaring off. Their "play"
is significantly rougher than with anyone else, and periodically I will have
a week or two when they are constantly agitating each other.
Cooper was here when everyone in this batch arrived. He is not only not
related but not a Basset, and while Nigel sometimes challenges Cooper, it
always ends badly for Nigel, despite the fact that Cooper is neutered,
doesn't want to fight, and is nine years old.
Other than the fact that Cooper clearly is in charge, the lines of order
among the Bassets blur and are very fluid. One day everyone defers to Nigel,
the next to Conley. Conley and Llewis will play outside for hours in good
weather: introduce Nigel into the equation and everything falls apart.
Nigel and Conley are intact and are crated at night and when we are not at
home. This is as much to protect the house as it is to protect the dogs.
I just HATE waking up in the middle of the night with two dogs fighting on
top of me.....

MomPerson to Nigel (I'M in charge) Llewis, Conley (I'M in charge) and Cooper
(mmmhmmmm. Right.)