[Dailydrool] In response to Pat...

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 21:06:37 PDT 2010

One more thing and I'm done on this-
Pat had said there was an Angel Fund for people who "say" they can't afford veterinary care at her animal hospital.

When I was younger and more altruistic I thought when people said something they were telling the truth.  There was a owner who brought her 13 year old Min Pin mix in a few months ago.  She said she just lost her job, something I sadly hear too frequently.  She said she couldn't afford to take him to emergency which I understood but also said she couldn't afford more than an exam, xrays and pain meds, but he also needed sub q fluids at a whopping $35.  The lady was crying and the dog was flat out and I didn't really know if he would make it through the night.  The girls in the kennel and at the desk were so upset and chipped in for the fluids which was very nice of them.

The next day she came in to get more fluids, because she ended up giving all the fluids at once, but amazingly that day she drove up in a 2010 Mercedes, was covered in Gucci and Coach, had a hat from a Caribbean resort, and $35 for fluids.  The girls called me, so upset that she SAID she couldn't afford anything and appeared to be very well off financially.  And that's why I didn't pay for anything for her, or anyone.  Perhaps I've become a bit hardened but sometimes you have to, to protect yourself.  Everyone has to choose what they spend money on and I don't judge people's choices but don't take advantage of people with big hearts.  So I try to take everything people say with a grain of salt.  We all make decisions on what to spend our money.  My guess is there aren't too many rescue volunteers with Coach purses - or any purses at all!

The SPCA here has a fund for people who can't afford care but you have to apply and prove that you are actually low income and don't just say you are low income.  I feel better giving money directly to that fund.

Laura
Flash
and Ryu
PS Amazingly the dog survived and looks great!  All in all a good ending:)