[Dailydrool] Not wanting to pay the vet

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Wed May 12 08:08:10 PDT 2010

This really doesn't surprise me.  I am a pediatric optometrist.  Many insurance companies will cover the exam if we diagnose something medical (a lazy eye, crossed eye, cataract, etc.)  If the child is near-sighted and needs glasses, that is consider a "routine" exam and often is not covered.  I do not agree with this, but it is what it is.  For a new patient, routine exam, the fee is $140...this is how much I pay when I get my hair cut and colored, so I don't think it is an outrageous amount to pay for a thorough eye exam for your child.  You would be amazed at how many parents say that they "hope we find something medical."  I would like to have them talk to a parent whose child has to wear an eye patch 3 hours a day for years, and be seen every 3 months (and pay a co-pay each time.)  Or maybe they should talk to the parent of a child who has numerous medical problems, including not being able to see AT ALL.

If parents balk at paying a little over $100 once a year (once the patient is not new, the fee goes down) to ensure that their children can see and have healthy eyes, it does not surprise me at all that they wouldn't want to spend any money on their pets.

Rose, Annie and Fred