[Dailydrool] Related/unrelated hounds

Deb Good dlgood66 at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 11:52:02 PDT 2010

Sean and Ana are related though not siblings.  She's his aunt (or cousin depending on which side of the family tree you're looking at).  Anyway, Sean is pretty laid-back and tolerant and Ana is, well...Crazy!  I swear she never sleeps.  Like the energizer bunny that one!  Anyway, they get along pretty well and even though Sean is much larger than Ana (he weighs 60 lbs and she 48), and he could easily "cream" her if he wanted to, he just barks real loudly at her if she's getting on his nerves-which she does often by "pouncing" on him when he's trying to nap.  The interesting thing is that Ana's dad has been an overnight guest here a few times and she only tried to pull that crap with him once.  He never moved anything on his big ole body except his lip and she never tried to "pounce" him again.  (she's relentless with poor Sean-won't quit 'til he's up).  Sean did live here first and is a year older than Ana, but I can't really say that one is
 "alpha" over the other.

A friend of mine has two Basset sisters who absolutely hate-I mean HATE-each other.  Then there's Ana and her sister-best buddies.  It was heartbreaking separating them when Ana came here to live as pup, but they do see each other now and then and spend their time playing and playing and playing.  Sean has a brother who he sees often but the two do not get along-at all-bristling hair down their backs, ears pulled back etc.  (Neither is neutered).  But Sean is buddies with an un-neutered male Basset who lives with another friend of mine. They bounce and wrestle and "alligator mouth" each other.  And Ana met Sean's sister just last night and had a little bristling with her, but eventually they worked out whatever Ana's issue with Eliza was and ended up playing and running together.  (Sean never seems to have issues with the ladies!  He thinks he's hot stuff I suppose!).

I guess my point is this: related or not, "fixed" or not, wether two or more dogs are going to get along depends on the personalities of the dogs and the humans involved.  This is just my own experience and not based on anything else.

Deb
Sean-the tolerant one
Ana-Wanna play?  Wanna play?  Huh? Huh?

*See us on the Daily Drool calendar July 10 or better yet, at Slobberfest!