[Dailydrool] The uneducated masses

Basset911 at aol.com Basset911 at aol.com
Wed May 12 14:04:03 PDT 2010

Oh boy, don't get me started!
Many are the calls we get from vet's offices of owners having abandoned
dogs due to refusing to pay vet care.  Some vet's are wonderful and waive
charges, others need their costs covered and some are looking to make new
clients, but this happens every day.

We get calls in rescue too.  Most rescues are educationally based so  we
get the calls that Droolers scratch their heads over and say "They said
WHAT??"  We are all Droolers because we love and care about our furkids, we
share their antics and laugh and cry with each other.  The folks who  generally
call in are not of that makeup.

When I was a kid I was taught that one day when I am ATB, my life will be
displayed for all to see. I learned from an early age to "Smile for the
camera".  I do that multiple times a day in rescue.
"Our new puppies are all sick and we can't afford it, we'd like to donate
them to rescue" Smile.
"My dog got hit by a car again, I can't pay the vet, will you take her?"
Smile.
"We're moving and the new house has white carpet, we obviously can't take
the dog" (what about the kids?) Don't say that out loud - just "smile for
the  camera".
"Please waive the adoption fee, we can buy 6 months worth of food for that
dog" (and what happens in week #7?) Smile.

An incredibly high number of rescue intakes are dogs abandoned at vet
offices or at boarding kennels - just did not want to pay the bill. How sad is
that? In CA an owner has 4 hours right to reclaim a surrender and 10 days
after  notification of abandonment. You have to be very nice, even if the dog
in your  arms is shaking, emaciated and obviously abused and neglected.
It's about  the dog, forget about the possibility of prosecuting on abuse - the
DA can't  prove the case. Animal Cops is a TV show and not reality. I love
our  vet. He walks on water. His dedication is to his patients the animals
and  dealing with multiple rescue groups he see's the worst of the worst in
veterinary neglect.  If you have not thought about sending your vet a
simple card saying "Thank you for doing what you do every day" please send one
NOW! Your Doc and his staff are truly angels.

It takes all kinds.
In the realm of animals we see them all. Vet's, Rescue's and  Shelter's
deal with the worst.

Dawn of the West - often Smiling for the camera.
_www.daphneyland.com_ (http://www.daphneyland.com/)
661  269-2682

Daily rehabilitation and socialization of up to 100 basset  hounds and some
mixes - public viewing and visitation are Saturdays &  Sundays from 11 - 5.
Come and rub bellies in person! Volunteer opportunities  abound!
WADDLE WITH US IN KINGSBURG, CA! MAY !5, 2010  _www.gebr.org_
(http://www.gebr.org)