[Dailydrool] Fw: Temple Grandin's book/dog behavior

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Wed May 12 14:24:55 PDT 2010

We are so sorry to hear of Moosie Bear journey to the bridge.  What a lovely
tribute that you wrote to honor him.  May he live forever in the magic of
your memories.

I forgot to mention that my brothers Colt and Ruger have never had a food
issue either.  Actually they eat together and out of the same bowl, even
though there is 2 bowls of food there with the same amount & type of food in
it.  They will both eat out of one, once finished move to the other bowl.
The breeder that we got them from fed all the buppies out of one pie pan, so
they think that is just how it is supposed to
be...Family style dining.  When it comes to treats I don't tolerate any
snapping at the treat, or any aggression what so ever.  I like my fingers to
stay attached to my hand. When the treats come out I make them sit and wait
patiently, they each get their treat, a pat on the head and told "good boy".
If for some reason I drop a treat and one dog ends up with 2 treats I
immediately get 2 treats & give to the other hound.  It was pretty much the
same way with the Fab 5!  Comanche was the only one that would snap for his
treat...just trying to get it before anyone else.  We got him at 10 months
so he had a couple of bad habits but with a 2 finger tap on the nose and a
stern "NOOOO" he quickly learned that snapping was not tolerated.  Everyone
got the same type and number of treats no matter what...plus I would change
up the order in which I gave them the treats, never making the same dog 1st
in the treat rotation so as not to show favoritism to one or the other.  I
read somewhere that helps to prevent dominance issues...it seems to work.
I agree with Susan about dog personality.  All of mine have been very sweet,
and I hadn't really noticed a difference between males and females, they all
had different personalities. The 2 females that I breed where good
mothers...but when 6 weeks came the buppies were weaned and she was done
with them. Storm ATB was such a maternal boy...he loved buppies and would
bull his way into the nursery kennel to get to them, he would then lick and
clean every single one and you could not get him out of the nursery kennel
until he was done.  Once they were released to the back yard it was Storm
who took the buppies under his big paw, watched over them and kept them
herded up and out of trouble.  Comanche on the other paw just tried to stay
out of the pups way...he never snapped at them but he never mothered them
either. One day I had Comanche and a couple of the buppies in the living
room, Comanche just kept moving away from them as the pups tried to chase
him around the room.  One of the buppies became attached to Comanche's
tummy, Comanche just lifted up his back leg, looked at me as if to say "a
little help here please" or "Can you please remove this rather large tick
from my tummy"

Sorry that my last few post have been so long...Can you tell that I love
yapping about my furkids?
Much love to all!

Heart healing drool from Colt and Ruger
Big Hug from the Momma (Michele)
"We'll welcome Moosie Bear with open paws" Droopy, Snoopy, BoSarah,
Princess, Shadow, Comanche, Storm & Wolfgang...My ATB Pack