[Dailydrool] Karen's Bassets

Melissa Jokela mjokela at camulus.org
Thu May 13 18:15:27 PDT 2010

As was posted in April, we all lost a really great friend when Karen
Sommerfield passed away.  She was always willing to help anyone, human
or dog, even if she didn't know you personally.  I was lucky enough to
know Karen after I rescued Sadie from the shelter near my home and got
her to Karen's house, where she still resides.  She also knew that my
Sarge was having incontinence issues and made up some belly bands and
sent them to us.  She just loved to talk about all of the dogs and I
sure will miss asking how Sadie is doing...we always joked that Sadie
would wear black leather!!!

Now Karen's dogs and family need our help finding new homes for some of
the many dogs that called their house home.  We have created a website
so people can check out who needs foster homes, who needs forever homes,
what is happening, who is helping, how you can help and to share stories
about Karen. We will be updating the site with more pictures as we take
them and will also be blogging in the Latest Scoop as everything
progresses.  The site also has pictures of those dogs that Harry,
Karen's husband, will be keeping there with him.

There are 11 bassets needing new forever homes.  Two of them will be
going to Animal Ark no-kill shelter and one bonded pair is going out to
HOP.  BBR was able to get all of the dogs vetted last weekend so they
are now all up to date on shots, have had their heartworm tests and got
some nail trims and brushing.  A few of them still need dentals, so we
hope to be able to get those done in the near future as well.

I think that the biggest way to honor Karen would be to help us help the
dogs that she so loved!  You can do so by checking out the site at
<http://binkerton.com/Karen/>.  Be sure to check out the How to help
page if you would like to donate to the vetting of the dogs or if you
would like to help foster one of the dogs.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me at
mjokela at camulus.com

Thanks so much,
Melissa
Sarge, Gerdie, Oliver and Homer ATB