[Dailydrool] Sisters and things

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Thu May 13 17:55:36 PDT 2010

Our first two bassets were sisters.  They were wonderful girls.  I had to do a lot of talking to even get the DH to think about a basset, much less go look at one.  And we knew nothing about rescue.  Wasn't much in that way then.  We found out about these puppies after being grilled by the Basset lady in GB and drove three hours to see them.  They were 8 weeks old and really adorable.  There were three girls up for adoption, the runt and two others.  The DH liked the runt and the owner told us not to go there.  I liked the one called Precious Posie.  She was mostly black and white.  The DH wanted one who would have lots of brown.  So we got the runt.  The breeder said she would be a lot of trouble.  Said she would be a pill.  Always wanting her way and stuff.  Boy, was she right.  We took our runt girl home even though she was to young.  Because we had come so far.  We stopped half way home so I could get a soda.  She threw up all over the front seat because I didn't take her in with me or something.  She was a pip.

We named her April Sassafrass and called her Sassy.  Her registered name was Candy Cleo but she looked like a Sassy.  She wouldn't sleep by herself.  She wouldn't eat ANYTHING.  I cooked for that dog every day but she didn't care.  She was so attached to me that she wouldn't be anywhere I wasn't.  She slept next to my stomach and would go down to the end of the bed, pee and then come back up and go to sleep.  She was so lonely for her littermates.

When we picked her up, she was at the bottom of a box and all of her siblings were on top of her.  We got her out to see how she would interact with us and she ran back into the box and they piled on top.  Soooooooo, a month later we called the breeder and asked if they still had Precious Posie.  She said yes so we went to bring her home.

She became Daisey May.  She was twice the size of Sassy.  She ate everything and Sassy just watched.  We had to push Sassy at the food and hold Daisey back.  She was such a waddle butt but so very cute.  Sassy loved having her sis at home.  They slept together and did it all together.  They got along like sisters sometmes do.  They played and teased and scapped and sometimes they fought, as in knock down drag out fights.

Sassy would poke at Daisy and pick at her.  When it got too much, Daisy would let her have it.  Nothing would stop the fight unless two adults would grab and hold them.  But once you let go, they would go back at it.  Once the fight was over, they would go back to being best buds.

They lived with us in three countries and six houses.  They were the most wonderful girls.  When they went for their first tooth cleaning we were given a price and when I picked them up it was much cheaper.  The vet explained that when they went to look in their mouths, the girls didn't complain or grump so they cleaned their teeth with no anesthesia.  They were so patient.   They tolerated three little boys who were not always gentle.

They lived with us for 12 1/2 and 13 years.  Daisey left first.  I think it killed Sassy in a way.  She lived another 6 months but was very listless.  Like the wise people we are, we thought Sassy was lonely and would love a companion.  We got her a puppy.  She hated him on sight.  Sherlock was probably a puppy mill puppy.  He was a mess.  But he was so very cute.  When we were going to see the puppies, there were three girls and one boy.  Our car broke down and we got there many hours later.  All were gone but the boy.  He wouldn't come out from behind the washing machine.  When they got him out, he fit in one hand.  The boys thought he was wonderful.  He learned to play ball and be the ball.  He was a tough little cookie who grew to be a very large cookie.

I guess I started this to say that we have had siblings and just a mishmosh.  The girls were the sweetest and gentlest bassets I have ever known.  Sherlock was the biggest wuss I have ever known.  Then we rescued Sunny, Cujo of the Midwest.  We have not gotten a puppy since Sherlock.  He was also our only boy.

We have had a lot of basset adventures.  And will continue to have them.  We have speed bumps here too.  It must be in their contract.  Make the kitchen smaller by taking up all the floor space.  It is also in their contract that all speed bumps must be mobile.  The humans must never know in advance where they will be.  Otherwise they won't do much to cut down on speed.  And the humans won't be as likely to drop whatever food they are holding.  Bassets love to do taste tests.  The floor makes a great plate. If you are a basset.

I have rambled long enough.  It is stormy and rainy here.  Not fun for the bassets.  Maggie is beside herself.  She needs a lot of reasurrance that the thunder is not going to get in and grab her.  The others are not too bad.  I think Shelby gets bothered but she just needs treats to take the upset away.

We are sending heart healing drool to the family of Moosie Bear.  We are so sorry for you loss.  We are also sending snooter kisses.

Ninja, Marley, Maggie and Shelby with the sleepy, bored kitty boys and the mom