[Dailydrool] A new friend

Krutsinger,DeAnn krutsingd at waldorf.edu
Tue May 18 08:54:25 PDT 2010

Hello Friends!!

I've not posted since our Gracie Mae passed on but I wanted to share
with you that we have found a new friend.  Our hope/plan was that when
the time was right we would adopt another Basset from a rescue group.
In fact we had already submitted a couple of applications to two
different groups in our area.   But I also keep watch on Petfinder and
Craigslist.  I am confident that most (if not all) rescue groups do a
fantastic job of screening homes before placing their dogs with new
families but I am a bit more leery about Petfinder and Craigslist.  Some
pets on Craigslist are coming from good homes and will be placed in good
homes, others are (in my opinion) pets that are being tossed away,
easily disposable and easily replaceable in the eyes of their owners.

Well it was just such an ad on Craigslist that brought us our new.  I
had wanted another Basset!!  A basset with long velvety ears, droopy
eyes, and toes that smelled like Fritos!! What I found was an ad that
said   "Free. Basset/Beagle mix. Must go this week!"  So I called to
inquire.  The lady on the other end of the phone begged me to take her.
There was someone else that was coming to pick her up that night, but
"all she wants is a free dog".  My thought was, 'well you get what you
advertise for'.  But I agreed to go over and meet her.

The door opened and I was greeted by a short, stubby legged, long
bodied, helicopter tailed, tri-colored and freckled body with the face
of a Beagle, wiggle worm!  Age - 9 months!  Hmmmm....this is rather
interesting I thought. (Definitely a cutie pie but I hadn't planned on a
puppy of sorts)  For me, one of the best ways to interact with a dog, is
to get down on the floor or ground and just see what happens.  I sat
down on the floor and she immediately snuggled up next to me, slobbered
on my face and then flopped down and rolled for a tummy rub.  Oh
boy...she was a basset at heart!!! I loved her up, rubbed her tummy
until I thought she had had enough and then stopped to visit with the
owner.  She (this wiggle worm) promptly got up, came back over, got in
my face and said..."Arrrooooo" .

Yep she had me at Arrrroooo!!

We are now proudly owned by a Bagel. Her name is Lillian, Lillian Louise
aka Silly Lilly, and silly she is!!!  My first basset Gracie had been
five or six when we took her in from a shelter. Obviously past her peak
puppy year(s).  Silly Lilly keeps us on our toes.  She counters surfs
better than Gracie ever did and Gracie did it pretty well.  During her
first week at home, she made off with an entire pork steak that had
actually been set 'back' on the counter so as not to be taken by said
counter surfer.  Her back legs work very well and not only does she get
her nose and front legs up on the counter, but can had a jump to it and
get to the back of the counter as well.  If a chew toy isn't in close
proximity, most anything will do.  But given a choice, she has a
preference for socks.  We now have numerous toeless socks. Several
softballs now are just balls without the soft on the outside, much to my
daughter's dismay.  The beautiful plant in the pot on the floor by the
window....yep, it's been unearthed and eaten...well shredded anyway (a
non-toxic plant of course). And so each day goes....a new adventure, a
new mess to clean up, an item of clothing to mend (if it's even possible
to mend it) and on and on and on we go.  BUT - we would not trade our
Silly Lilly for anything or anyone else.  She was free, being discarded
by her previous family, left to end up in whichever home came to get her
first.   She's in MY home, she's LOVED, she has other four-legged
friends to play with, she sleeps on MY bed, she rides in My car, and she
is HOME.

Welcome home Silly Lilly!

DeAnn M. Krutsinger

Asst. Director of Financial Aid

Waldorf College

641-585-8122

Live Purple ~ Go Green

"...Happiness is the choice of living every moment with love, grace and
gratitude."