[Dailydrool] Doggie ear issue- What's wrong?

Wild Moon wildmoonfarm at gmail.com
Sat May 22 18:37:28 PDT 2010

I'm used to basset ear infections. Black gunk that signify earmites or
allergies. I dealt with plenty with Margo. But this is a new one in the ear
department, if anyone might have a clue. It concerns my dachshund and not my
basset but a floppy ear is a floppy ear perhaps? Anyhow he kept shaking his
head today and yesterday, today is carrying his head cockeyed and boy does
his ear smell. It is discharging a light yellow liquid and making the ear
hair sticky and gross. What is it? Its like a kid's ear infection as far as
I can tell? How did he get it? The only ear medication I have in the house
is: Animax Ointment which says its also: nystatin-neomycin
sulfate-thiostrepton-triamcinolone acetonide ointment.  Will this work for
him till we can see the vet on monday morning? If not, any other soultions?
I am going to see the vet first thing but in the meantime I want him to be
comfortable. I've not seen this sort of ear issue before. Thank you in
advance. Also- I suspect the new basset may have a uti. She has to pee like
a race horse every 20 minutes and drinking alot. The vet issued her a clean
bill of health the friday before last...shakes her head. One one goes down
they all go! Zebby- mom to Frank, Hagen, Meow, & new Mostly a Basset.