[Dailydrool] May with our Elsinore and young Charlie, part 1 of 3

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Mon May 24 15:43:31 PDT 2010

What a month this has been! We were on holiday in Florida the week of
Nashville's flood and torrential rains (four months' worth in two
days). Our Elsinore was staying with Friend Jennifer while young
Charlie was at his favorite doggie daycare in another part of town.
Fortunately neither locations flooded, though Jennifer was watching a
nearby creek very closely and would have had to evacuate four dogs if
what had spilled the banks had headed in her direction. Too many of
our near neighbors left their homes in rowboats and canoes, not
always with all of their pets. Cats are especially hard to corral
into a boat, and many opted to hide in high spots in their homes,
giving their humans no choice but to leave them behind. Metro Animal
Control still has a number of animals who've been displaced by the
flood, and it's going to hold onto them for a few more weeks (before
trying to adopt them out) so that their equally displaced families
have more time to try to find them.

In addition to worrying about Elsinore and Charlie's safety, we
worried about our house, which is located within a half mile of the
Cumberland River. We can see the riverbank from our street, and we
knew the river had crested at near record-breaking levels. The
Weather Channel, which surprisingly had the best coverage, showed
many photos of the roofs of businesses along the river on our side. I
called my mother, who lives a block away from us, and she assured us
there was no water on our street. But she doesn't get out of her
house much, even on fair weather days, so I wasn't sure how much she
really knew about what was going on even a block away.

We returned home fearing what we'd find. We envisioned a basement
full of water, or really nasty stuff bubbling out of the toilets and
drains. We were too ignorant at the time to know to worry about
finding a flooded HVAC system or water heater that'd have to be
replaced. However, we were incredibly fortunate. Our basement floor
was damp, and that was it. Not even my garden had been washed away.
Almost a month later, as many of our friends continue to deal with
mud and mold and the loss of pets (I heard that Elsinore's dance
teacher, who lives in the Bellevue area, lost some dogs and a cat to
the flood), we're feeling just as fortunate. We were spared loss of
property, employment, and life.

With the news of the widespread and horrific damage the flood had
wrought playing in the background on the tv and in the newspaper, I
began going through all the e-mails that had accumulated while we
were gone. The neighborhood listserv detailed the flooding and
evacuations block by block as they were happening, and the Drool
detailed two devastating fires. Both my worlds quickly become very
sad places to be. While most possessions can be replaced, pets
cannot. My heart is heavy when I think of the humans, dogs, cats, and
other pets who died, as well as those who lost their homes and
everything they owned, in the Nashville flood and the Drool fires.

As I was going through the Drools, I saw the thread on fire
prevention. Even though it's a bit late to be adding to it, here's a
tip I came across: Make sure the bathroom exhaust fans are cleaned
regularly. Lint and grime collects in those and can ignite,
especially when the fan is run for extended periods of time. Actually
it's best not to run those fans any longer than necessary.

We keep our hounds in crates at night, and I make sure all the crates
have a leash lying on top, right by the crate door. That way, in the
event of a fire, I won't have to go searching for a leash because
it'll be right there when I open the door. I'm of two minds when it
comes to dogs in crates during a fire. If dogs are in their crates
when a fire starts, the humans trying to rescue them know exactly
where they are and can find them immediately. No searching a smoky
house for a dog who's trying to hide. At the same time, being in a
crate means the dog's trapped and can't move away from a fire that's
getting too close. I don't think there's any perfect solution, and
luck plays a huge role in who survives and who doesn't. We keep "pet
alert" stickers on the front and back doors, try to reduce the risk
of fire, and hope for the best.

To be continued..... (Part 2, Young Charlie gets sick)

Elizabeth