[Dailydrool] May with our Elsinore and young Charlie, part 3 of 3

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Mon May 24 15:43:35 PDT 2010

Just before we left for Florida, our Elsinore took her pet therapy
recertification test, something she and I have to do every other
year. This time I signed us up for a refresher course beforehand,
which Elsinore did well in. The morning of the test, I got up at the
unreasonable hour of 5:30am so I could get her out for an hour-long
walk to try to stem some of her insatiable energy. I swear that dog
has terrier in her because she has a terrier's intense personality
and energy level. So we walked the mile-long loop in the park and
came back for breakfast. We left in good time for the testing site
and then walked a little more there.

Elsinore was full of pep and vigor and high-spirited energy. Until we
entered the building and began the test. After she spent a few
minutes checking out the smells on the floor and we started the test,
her sparkle and energy inexplicably began to dissipate. I wound up
having to fight for her attention and focus the entire time. I was
dismayed at how poorly she walked through a "crowd" of three people,
when just the day before I'd had her at the Country Music Marathon
finish line, and she'd walked through those crowds close by my side
and without trying to veer off to get pats from everyone. When we
reached the part of the test where she had to leave the "friendly
stranger" patting her and come to me when I called to her, she
apparently decided she was done with the test. She looked me in the
eye and refused to come. And that was that.

I was pretty annoyed with her because I know she knows the material
and has the skill set for passing this test with three paws tied
behind her back. All that work we'd put into getting her ready for
the test and she decides to put down her pencil and close her test
booklet not even halfway through because she doesn't feel like doing
it anymore? I had to leave a party early the night before so I could
get home and bathe and groom her for the test. If I'd known she was
going to blow it off, I could have stayed at the party longer. And
slept in the next morning.

I could tell her evaluator and the assistants were just as dismayed
as I, and it was heartening to realize they'd really been rooting for
us. They all came up with theories for why Elsinore had quit. Perhaps
she'd been walked too far before the test and was tired. Our ever-
busy Elsinore tired? This is a hound who can run for hours, come
home, and spend the rest of the day twitching around the house with
still more inactivity and boredom. If I hadn't walked her, it's quite
likely she would've been crawling out of her skin with too much
energy during the test.

Perhaps it was my apparel that had kept Elsinore from performing her
best. I work from home, so she's used to seeing me in jeans, baggy
sweaters, and no shoes. For the pet therapy test, however, one must
dress as one would if one worked for Corporate America. This baffles
me because pet therapy involves dogs and being on the floor and in
other situations designed to soil good clothes, but as hoops to jump
through go, it's not an onerous one. If you're a woman, you get an
extra point for wearing a blazer. Silly me, I thought that'd be an
easy point to score, so I picked out a blazer at Goodwill and set it
aside for test day, the first day Elsinore saw me wearing it.

I just can't see Elsinore being so thrown for a loop by my being in a
skirt, hose, dress shoes, and blazer that she comes completely undone
and can't remember how to follow the commands she's been practicing
intensely for the past nine weeks. But stranger things have happened,
I guess. The suggestion was made that I wear my testing outfit
whenever I train Elsinore so that she sees it as being normal. If I'd
known I was going to be condemned to wearing a blazer every day until
the retest date, I would've chosen one I liked. Ah, well. I don't
have to look at it, only Elsinore does.

Really, I just loved the way everyone was making excuses for
Elsinore's poor performance!

I was out of town for about half the month, which greatly reduced the
number of days I had available for working with Elsinore. But
whenever I was home, I put on my "outfit" and took Elsinore down the
block to a church parking lot to work on sitting, staying, coming
when called, and walking past a pink ball (just like the one used for
the test) without stopping to sniff it. All last week, I put on my
"outfit" twice a day to work with Elsinore not only in the church
parking lot but also at a Home Depot store that allows pets on
leashes. We'd spend an hour walking the aisles, practicing ignoring
shoppers and other dogs, practicing our turns, practicing ignoring
interesting things on the floor, practicing being patted by "friendly
strangers" without getting up from a sit position, practicing
throwing some of her dance steps into the obedience work to keep her
attention focused what she was doing and not on what was going on
around her. On Thursday she did everything picture perfect, and
Friday was almost as good. By Friday some of the store clerks were
greeting Elsinore by name when we came in.

On Saturday I took Elsinore back to the dog training club for her
retest. I scheduled it for late morning so that I could keep her
morning routine as normal as possible. I did not take her for a walk.
I wore my testing "outfit," which by that point could have stood a
good dry cleaning. We arrived at the testing location 40 minutes
early. I took Elsinore for a walk the length of three warehouses,
which was as long as it took for her to fully take care of all her
outside business. She bounced along and sniffed things and seemed in
good spirits. By the time we got back to the car, it was starting to
feel as if we'd about reached the forecast 89 degrees, and Elsinore
had begun to pant. I gave her water and changed into my dress shoes.
Just before we entered the building, I asked Elsinore to heel and to
do a twist (one of her dance steps) in the shade of the building. She
did both very slowly and with much coaxing. This did not bode well.

Once we were inside the building, Elsinore's energy didn't pick up
and she wasn't interested in smelling the ring before the test began.
It was warm in the building, though the windows were open and fans
were on. The evaluator, after giving me the standard introductory
directions, added that I should remember not to lock my knees because
it was warm enough for locked knees to lead to fainting in there.
Elsinore continued to pant. The first element of the first part of
the test is for the dog to sit beside the human and not move an inch
when a "friendly stranger" approaches to shake the human's hand. I
told Elsinore to sit. I told her to stay. I pointed at the "friendly
stranger" and told her "leave it" and that that person was "not for
dogs." The "friendly stranger" approached, stretched out her hand
towards me, and Elsinore slowly got up and drifted across me to greet
the "friendly stranger."

Elsinore failed her retest almost as soon as it'd begun. And she gave
every appearance of having intentionally, deliberately failed it.

Both the evaluator and I stared at her in open-mouthed amazement.
Elsinore has always, always done this part of the test well. She's
been known to cross in front of me to greet the "neutral dog," but
never the "friendly stranger." All I can think is that she didn't
want to go through the whole half-hour test because she was hot, and
she knew that if she goofed it up immediately, she'd get to leave for
someplace cooler. I told her I was hot, too--especially in that
stupid blazer I had to wear so she wouldn't get "upset" by my "odd"
appearance during the test--and she didn't see me copping out early,
did she? But dogs are all about living in the moment, I guess, and
that particular moment was too hot for our Elsinore.

The evaluator sadly told us that she was going to have mark Elsinore
"not ready," and I just as sadly asked her when the next test would
be. We'll have to wait until December, the month Elsinore's
certification expires, before we can take the test again, and there I
was trying so hard to avoid having to retest at the last minute.

After we left the testing site in disgrace (well, I felt disgraced,
but Elsinore felt pretty darned good, especially after I turned on
the car's ac), I drove us to the hospice where Elsinore works once a
month. It's a well air-conditioned building. We got inside, and
Elsinore spent the next hour and a half happily putting in a classic,
textbook pet therapy performance, providing high quality interactions
with unsupervised toddlers, depressed old ladies, and even actual
hospice residents in their beds (*not* her favorite group of people
to interact with). She did her job with ease and beautifully
controlled but genuine friendliness. She listened to me and followed
my directions without my having to fight for her attention or
cooperation. If only such exemplary work behavior could count as the
recertification test!

On our way to the hospice I'd started to wonder if her repeated
failing of the test was her way of telling me she was ready to quit
her job. But once again, she gave every appearance of absolutely
loving the work she does there. If she really hated it, surely she'd
be dragging behind me in the parking lot as we headed for the
building. Instead, she's all wiggly eagerness to get inside and start
greeting people, and she can stay focused on that for a good hour
before she starts to get tired. I've also been wondering if she
failed the test because she knew the daily visits to Home Depot, with
all the treats and affirmations that came with those visits, would
end once she passed the test. Alas for Elsinore, the daily visits
have ended anyway. I just can't keep up that level of test
preparation like that. There are other things that must be
accomplished each day.

I remain disappointed in Elsinore's test performances and can only
hope that the next retest date will coincide with a day she might be
feeling "on" and actually ready to get all the way through the test
without deliberately blowing it off.

Next time, I'll train her in Home Depot again, wear that stupid
blazer every time I work with her, and--this is called desperation--
put in a call to the pet psychic just before the test so I can be
sure Elsinore knows that if she fails that one, she won't be allowed
to go back to work at the hospice until she passes the test. It'll be
interesting to see what happens next time.

Elizabeth