[Dailydrool] Spare Nipple

Brenda Waldrop dedanann1 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 08:39:33 PDT 2010

If it's one thing I've learned owning bassets is that they are lumpy
beasts.  They get all kinds of lumps, all the time.  My Copper has a
"mole/wart" type thing that looks just like a nipple on his nebberminds!  My
Elphaba has one just like it on her head that you can find when vigorously
scratching.  Both of them have had exploding sebaceous cysts more times
than I can count.  They also get lumps deep under the tissue that
either just disappear or stay but do nothing else.  None of the lumps seem
to hurt in the least, even the exploding ones, although they do tend to get
annoyed when I pick and drain, but more just because I'm making them hold
still and otherwise annoying them than that they are in any pain.

When we got Copper from the rescue he had a "skin-tag" hanging down from the
middle of his belly about the size of a plum, and hanging on a 2" long "tag"
of skin.  We had it removed when it started to drag the ground and get cut
up because we were afraid it would get infected.  It never hurt him in the
least though.  Copper also has a growth of extra gum tissue in his mouth
about the size of a walnut.  He's had it since we got him, and while they
first told us it was probably slow growing cancer, it turned out just to be
a random gum mutation.  It doesn't bother his eating or anything, and there
is no pain involved, all I have to do is make sure the tooth under it stays
clean and all is good.

So bassets are just lumpy, lumpy, lumpy.  Obviously, anything that has pain
associated, or that grows really fast, you should have checked out by your
vet, but expect lumps to be a regular occurrence!

Brenda- momslave to Copper (Hey I'm old and I earned all of my lumps) and
Elphaba (what lump on the top of my head!?  I've never seen a lump on top of
my beautiful head!)