[Dailydrool] Lumpy hounds

beachmoose at windstream.net beachmoose at windstream.net
Wed May 26 11:59:22 PDT 2010

Oh my goodness, I know all about the lumpy hounds.  Our Ozzie had one huge cyst on his shoulders, looked like a brahma bull.  We took him to the vet to have it removed.  When we went to retrieve him, he looked like a crazy quilt.  He had rows of staples all over him.....top, bottom, and both ends.  Vet decided that he might as well get them all at one time.  Took three trips to the vet to find all of the staples.

Last Friday I came home from work to find my kitchen covered in blood.  After a lot of hound checking we found a cyst that had burst on Walter's tummy.  I think his toenail caught it when he was recreational scratching.  Darn thing just kept draining.  We hauled him off the the emergency vet who mumbled something about bassets and lumps.  She gave him a blast of antibiotics and told us to have it removed.  The attitude was sort of 'well, what did you expect?'.  Our regular vet drained it and suggested that due to his advanced years that we just treat it topically and watch it.

Sammie, mild mannered and reclusive, took a swipe at my dogsitter's two year old.  My insurance company is paying out $40,000 to this family.  The child jumped on him when the dog was sleeping.  Had to have a few stitches to his forehead.  I am simply in shock.  Sammie has now paid for this kid's college education and I will probably lose my homeowner's insurance (hard to get in Florida on a good day) and/or give up the dog.  I'm livid.  The dad of the child insists that the child was not at fault but no one seems to be listening.  Anybody want a $40,000 dog?

Marcia and the Beachbassets