[Dailydrool] Ear Rubs

Carol Gazzara carolgazzara at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 13:00:41 PDT 2010

  Here's a question for my fellow "Droolers":

   Does your Basset likelooove to have her/his ears rubbed/stroked?

   I ask this question because our Rosie will lay still ..FOREVER...if you gently rub/stroke her ear/ears.  She will actually moan as you rub her ears and she will hit your hand if you stop and your still close enough to her.

   Well, over the weekend I found another Basset at the park and...of course, had to go over and get in a belly rub or two and while doing the bellrub, I reached up and tried to pet/stroke this male basset's ears and boy he was having not of that.  He growled and I do believe had I not backed off, he would have nipped me.  His slave said that since everyone grabs (No, I did not GRAB) his ears, he's come to not tolerate anyone touching them.  I asked if she was sure that his ears were ok.  She said his ears were fine, he just didn't like them touched!  This had me wondering as I've never known any dog who didn't appreciate a nice ear massage.  of course, everyone is different and I'm sure she knows her dog but I can't help but wonder if there are any other dogs out there who have a "no touch" policy for their ears!!