[Dailydrool] Lumps & Limping

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Thu May 27 09:31:01 PDT 2010

Lumps:  When I worked as a vet tech my vet taught me that all lumps
should be removed, sent to pathology for cell by cell breakdown and
examination.  There are some cancers out there that you can't tell is
cancer even with a biopsy you must have the whole lump with a cell by
cell exam done by a pathologist.  This is true with Melanoma. (wither
dog or human). In my vet tech, and medical tech experience and just my
overprotective mom attitude any lumps on my dogs will be checked out by
my vet.   I remember a case that was on an animal planet special. This
lady had a small brown mole, her Doberman pincher would not leave it
alone, he would nip at it, growl and try to bite it. The lady had the
doctor look at it, he took a biopsy sent it to pathology...no cancer
found.  However a couple of weeks later she came back to the doctor and
told him to remove it because her dog was going nuts trying to bite at
it. Doc removed it, sent it to pathology and the report came back as mid
stage, fast growing melanoma.  The dog saved her life!!!  Soooo...If I
find lumps on my boys that are obviously not sebaceous cyst or pimples,
or bug bites they go to the vet!  My opinion better safe and dish out a
little moolah now, than sorry and dishing out a lot of moolah later or
losing my hound to something that I could have prevented in the first
place.

Limping: With your dog laying on the uninjured side carefully feel &
exam the paw (in between the toes and pads) feel & look for any lumps,
bumps, holes, deformity or anything abnormal & any signs of pain.
Sometimes foxtails, thorns, sand burs etc will get stuck in-between the
pads or toes. Exam the leg & shoulder the same way (and arm pits).  Then
test the joints for range of motion. Gentle put your non dominant hand
over the joint and slowly move the toes, then the foot, then shoulder
through its normal range of motion.  Look for any signs of pain, or
guarding (tighten up so as not to let you move the joint), with the hand
that is gentle laying on the joint feel for popping, or an unsmooth
movement of the joint. Roll the dog over and compare to the uninjured
side.  If you find any deformities, or poping when moving the joint or
any extreme pain, take the dog to the vet.  If not try baby aspirin and
lots of rest for 2-3 days (no long walks, jumping running or playing) if
no improvement off to the vet or if the limping seems to worsen then off
to the vet.

Michele Momma to the Bad A** Bassets