[Dailydrool] Basset Sighting in the media

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Mon Nov 1 14:49:14 PDT 2010

No more pain, and rear end recovery drool for Argus. The boys and I hope
that you have many more days keeping your momma safe.  No Bloat drool to
Radar! Fart, or belch Radar...follow the guidance of Shrek "Better out
than IN"

Happy Birthday Alice! Hope you score lots of tasty treats for your
special day.

Maggie, Congratulations on your new home.  The boys and I are sooo very
happy that you found the light at the end of the tunnel. The boys are
sending lots of hip healing drool to Carl, and some home protection
drool for your new home.  Welcome Home Honnold Family

Bonnie that is so awesome that your hounds got picked for some modeling
gigs...hope it doesn't go their heads. lol
I love seeing Bassets in commercials, printed ads, Tv shows etc but
unfortunately there can be a down side to the basset media attention.
Just like with 101 Dalmatians, or the Air Bud movies, those breeds
became insanely popular. Everyone wanted a Dalmatian or Golden Retriever
puppy and didn't really know what they were getting into with these
breeds. So then a lot of the "movie off cast" pups were sent to shelters
or Rescues once they got a little older or people realized these dogs
were not like the movie dogs,(takes a lot of training to get them like
that) and there was a lot of responsibility in raising a dog.  As much
as I love seeing our big smooshy hounds in the media, I also get a bit
of a sick feeling about it too. Hopefully with the media attention maybe
all of the Rescues can use it for a big basset & pet ownership
educational push somehow. I know that all of the rescues are jam packed
with homeless hounds, I would hate to see more homeless hounds because
of folks seeing cute bassets on TV or magazines, run out to get one for
themselves and then say "oh my this is not what I signed up for" and
then ask a rescue to take their hound or dump them at the pound or
worse...won't even mention those things that are just unspeakable.

Michele Momma to the Bad A** Basset Brothers who have been obsessed with
those dang squirrels!