[Dailydrool] What is a bellyband?

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri Nov 5 06:25:35 PDT 2010

If you have a younger hound who has no incontinence issues, it's not
surprising that you don't know what a bellyband is. But for those of us with
male dogs who don't always get outside before the pee starts to flow, it is
a godsend.

A bellyband is two bands of fabric and one of padding (I use quilt batting)
that can be wrapped around the offending anatomy. I attach the ends to each
other with sew-on Velcro. You add one of those pads that humans use when
they have pottying problems (I use Poise pads), and you have a fairly good
method of keeping your floors dry.

I am now trying to use this method to protect the tumor on Abner's penis.
His huge lump gets so close to the ground that it it will eventually get
scraped up and infected. The surgeon who decided it was not going to be
worth doing surgery suggested this as a way to protect that delicate part of
his anatomy.

The things I do for my hounds!

As usual, the Drool came through on Velcro sources. I have not sat down and
compared the prices on various sites I've had suggested, but I was
fascinated by the following Website, which not only has Velcro, but also
sells equipment for leashes and other interesting things.

http://www.strapworks.com/metal_hardware_s/17.htm

My only concern on making a leash is that I'm not sure my sewing machine
could handle this thickness.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets