[Dailydrool] Congestive heart disease

Janice Black jab1 at gwi.net
Fri Nov 5 13:18:10 PDT 2010

My beloved Emily, a very recently healthy 15 and half year old
rescue, seems to be failing so quickly.  I took her to the vet on
Tuesday where x-rays revealed an enlarged heart and lots of fluid
around her heart and in her lungs.  She was given a diuretic but it
hasn't produced the copious pee I was to expect.  She is so lethargic
and just sleeps for more hours at a stretch than she ever has.  I am
carrying her back and forth from the car to the house from the car to
my office.  Today we started with an ace inhibitor.  Interestingly,
her labs are perfect.  The vet lady aid they were better than any 8
year old dog she had ever seen...so healthy and yet so sick.  She
doesn't seem to be in pain...just frail and weak. Last week end she
was running on the beach.  She hasn't been interested in food or
treats yet drinks just fine.  I bought her some canned cat food a
couple of hours ago and she devoured it..along with the diuretic and
Enalapril!!!
She is my ninth rescue and longest lived hounder....I've never lost
one to heart disease and as a very long time Drooler I haven't read
much about heart disease.  Anyone had experience with this disease or
the meds???  This is just so very sad and difficult for both of us.
Aroooos from Maine.

Janice and Emily (no matter what, Momma, you were the best)