[Dailydrool] tartar

LOIS LEMA lemalois at verizon.net
Sat Nov 6 07:31:14 PDT 2010

i use marrow (soup) bones that i get from the grocery store...not the ones from petsmart or any catalog.  the ones from the store work just fine thank you & are cheap..about $3 for a good 2 days worth of chewing for 3 dogs.  i make sure that the bones are good sized, not too small & don't have any sharp tags which could get broken off or splinter.  i don't cook them & would love it if everyone would take theirs outside but that does not always happen.  (my bed tho is OFF LIMITS..gotta have some rules..)

i have always used them & have never had a dog need a dental...the bones seem to scrape the tartar off the teeth..my vet has always said their teeth look good...some dogs can't tolerate the marrow so for them i will (yuck) clean it out or cook it slightly...but for me it is a natural alternative to a problem that was meant to be taken care of in that way.

later i sometimes freeze the bones with a little peanut butter or dog food as a treat once or twice before i toss them out & then start all over again...

buster has issues with bisuits..they give him ear problems so i try to avoid them if i can & this is a good alternative for me & him

"you have brains in your head. you have feet in your shoes. you can steer yourself in any direction you choose."     dr. seuss

"Tater Takes a Trip" @  www.blurb.com   help support basset rescue & dog mountain...get a copy or 5!  see buster in his latest creative adventures!