[Dailydrool] Preventing and removing tartar

Rosemary Ryan r2 at q.com
Sat Nov 6 16:32:29 PDT 2010

A couple of years ago I started giving my dogs ProDen Plaque Off.  It's
a sea weed that grows in the North Atlantic . It worked, and it's chock
full of vitamins!  The only caution is that it is rich in iodine and
which is contra-indicated for dogs who have a hyper-thyroid (too much)
condition.  Not a common problem in bassets,  so I started using it.  My
only complaint is that it's expensive. The best price I've found is $80
for a 1 pound jar, and that was on the net.  At the pet stores it is
even more.

The ProDen website says "It is a special type of seaweed (D1070) which
has been found to have specific beneficial effects for oral care." I did
a bit of research and discovered that D1070 is actually quite common and
grows all over the North Atlantic. I found a harvester in Maine that
sells a large grind version for farm animals at $24.99 for 12 pounds
plus shipping (which brought my price to around $40). It's too coarse
for the dogs, so I grind it myself. I add between 1/8 and 1/4 tsp per meal.

Their website is: http://www.vitaminseaseaweed.com/vitaminsea_farm.html.

The results?  One of my dogs had a huge problem with tartar buildup.  It
took about a year, but the seaweed (plus some cleaning with gauze pads)
eventually removed her tartar. My youngest ones, who are now 18 months,
have gotten the seaweed in their food since they were about 3 months old
and their teeth are gorgeous! My vets are always surprised when they
open my dogs' mouths and see their teeth.

Write me if you'd like more information.

Rosemary
Uncle Isaac (10), Grandma Dinah (8), Hilary (5), and her pups Spencer,
Esther, and Regina (18 months)