[Dailydrool] Flying with Bassets

Karen Muchmore mom2jaxson at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 13:43:56 PST 2010

I remember the first (and ONLY!!) time I flew with the Quela.  It was in the
early 90's and I'm pretty sure things have changed a lot since then.  It was
both comical and stressful for the both of us.  Back then, sedating dogs was
encouraged - I no longer think they recommend that.  I did give Quela doggie
downers, but they proved unsuccessful for him.  We flew out of Memphis to Dallas
- we flew out on a 747 (not a small plane) and as we were sitting on the tarmac
I could hear Quela barking in the cargo hold.  He barked constantly, everyone
could here him and I pretended not to notice.  It was winter and Dallas hit a
crazy low temp the night we flew in.  I ran to my next connection and inquired
as to the status of my dog.  They told me that due to the cold temperatures the
bag handlers had brought my dog into their office.  I was relieved.

We flew out of Dallas to Idaho to yet another connecting flight - again Quela
barking the whole time.  We were late of of Dallas and I ran just making my
connecting flight in Idaho.  We were due out to our final destination on what I
called a puddle jumper (a real small plane).  I told the agent at the desk that
I would refuse to board until I was certain that my dog was on board.  We waited
and waited and finally she told me to board and that my dog was aboard.  I had
to go outside to get on the plane and as I was walking to board I hear my dog
aarrooing.  Sure enough one of the baggage carts was driving toward us without a
single suitcase, but there was Quela.

Due to the unusually large size of the crate, he was pretty much the only cargo
aboard the puddle jumper.  All other bags (mine included) ended up arriving the
next day.  Of course, Quela barked the whole time aboard the small plane.
Imagine locking a basset in the airplane bathroom for a 45 minute flight.
Unfortunately, on this flight all were aware it was MY dog causing all the
commotion.

We arrived safely albeit a little hoarse.  The return flight was less eventful
except for the constant barking - it was a great trip for both of us - but one I
wouldn't care to repeat.

Good Luck
Karen Muchmore, mom to Jax and Aki