[Dailydrool] Daphneyland Hounds destined for England.

Basset911 at aol.com Basset911 at aol.com
Wed Nov 10 10:11:08 PST 2010

A story of destiny, love and complete dedication.

Last year a very apathetic caller dialed in and stated that they had
purchased a basset as a companion for their Golden and the basset was not
working out.  This basset was aggressive and the golden hated  him, they needed to
give up this one year old. We needed to come  quickly. And so began the
story of Freddie of Daphneyland.  One of our  club members; Shelia Adams ran
over to pick up Freddie and was horrified by what  she found.  A one year old
emaciated, terrified basset at the end of a  rope, covered in fleas and
being beaten up on by the families other dog.   Shelia who is WONDERFUL is a
spitfire and her very British voice on the  phone describing these wicked
demons translated very well along the phone  lines.  Freddie came to Daphneyland
with Shelia Adams of UK Bassets.   Freddie was saved by a Brit.  Freddie was
fearful yet loving, One blue eye  and one blue & brown eye, Freddie
resembled the young Bowie.  Freddie  began his life as a Young American, yet his
life did not truly begin until that  ride with the lovely and wonderful Brit.
Nutritional rehab, and all the normal  intakes of an emaciated hound began.

A family arrived at Daphneyland with their basset they had saved from a pet
 store. Sleek, young and highly active their hound Scooby immediately
picked out  Freddie, as did the humans - The Boxall Family.  How ironic that the
Boxall's hail from the UK, in was predestined: Freddie was  adopted.
Scooby and Freddie came out to the HoeDown, and  Freddie thrived in his new life
stealing rolls and snacks, enjoying  his children and developed a 6 binky a
day destruction diet.  Life was  good.  And then the day of the controlled
but very distressed phone call  from Amanda.

Situations had changed and the Boxall's were returning to England.   Amanda
with a very controlled panic in her voice was inquiring as to how we  would
feel if Freddie moved to England.  Would we allow that and was it in
Freddie's best interest?  How close to tears she was I cannot begin to tell  you.
 A family in crisis and this wonderful basset mom could only focus on  how
she could do the best for her furkids.  Assurances that a good family  is
not based on geography and brainstorming found Scooby and Freddie arriving at
Daphneyland for a temporary crisis stay while titer testing and quarantine
issues were ticked off the calendar.  It's been 3 months since the family
has seen their angels, yes the angels have been here in my home rather than
sitting in quarantine. Currently Scooby is chewing on Synthia's Kahuna and
Zuma  is cheering them on - Freddie is of course looking for a binky and
settling for  my hairbrush.

And Tuesday November 16, two lovely hounds will leave Daphneyland in their
airline approved crates, having passed rabies quarantine, USDA and UK
requirements which are many, they will head off from LAX on Virgin Atlantic and
wing their way to London Heathrow to be reunited with their family.  Keep
the boys in your thoughts next week - for -2- Young Americans  will be
invading England and the reunion can only bring tears to anyone within Heathrow
that day.  You will know them immediately, Scooby will be on the heads of
all present, and Freddie will be giving that Bowie gaze as he so lovingly
marks  any edible items within scenting range.

I cannot begin to word the emotions that playing a small part in helping a
family stay together has made on all of us.  Such love and dedication, it
costs a small fortune to keep their family together, yet the Boxall's have
not  blinked an eye at all the costs involved.  A true basset family is easy
to  spot.  Our hounds are members of the family, and the Holidays would not
be  complete without a family reunited.

Freddie of Daphneyland.  Emaciated and living a sad existence, was  rescued
by a Brit, adopted by Brits and will be traveling to the motherland of
bassets, to live as a well loved pampered basset in England.

 I MUST interject an apology to England,  Perhaps the whole of  Europe..  I
am very afraid that England may not quite be ready for  Scooby.  If there
is a formal forum for precursory apologies, please feel  free to forward.

Dawn of the West
Basset Rescue Network at Daphneyland
Where wishes on stars are granted, regularly.
_www.daphneyland.com_ (http://www.daphneyland.com/)
661  269-2682

Daily rehabilitation and socialization of up to 100 basset  hounds and some
mixes - public viewing and visitation are Saturdays &  Sundays from 11 - 5.
Come and rub bellies in person! Volunteer opportunities  abound!
DAPHNEYLAND IS CLOSED NOVEMBER 13 & 14, 2010  - THE FIRST EVER BASSET HOUND
FIELD TRIAL EVENT TO ALLOW SPAYED & NEUTERED  BASSETS IS BEING HELD IN
CORONA! HAVE TO BE THERE!! EMAIL OR VISIT _WWW.BHCSC.COM_
(http://www.bhcsc.com/)  FOR  DETAILS!