[Dailydrool] picky eaters and giving pills

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Thu Nov 11 14:29:31 PST 2010

There is a simple plan to get picky eaters to eat.  It requires some
fortitude on the part of the slaves, but with any healthy dog it works
wonders:

Day 1 - NO FOOD.  NO TREATS.  Plenty of
water.
Day 2 - 1/4 of normal ration of kibble.  NO TREATS.
No toppings on food.  Leave bowl down for 15 minutes and then put it
away.  If dog eats everything, go to day 3.  Otherwise it's back
to day 1.
Day 3 - Same as day 2 but give the hound 1/2 of his normal
amount of kibble.  If he eats everything, great!  Go to day
4.  If not, go back to day 2
Day 4 - Same as day 3 but
give the hound 3/4 of his normal amount of kibble.  If he eats
everything, great!  Go to day 4.  If not, go back to day 3
Day 5- Same as day 4 but give the hound all of his normal
amount of kibble.  If he eats everything, great!  Go to day
6.  If not, go back to day 3
Day 6 - Same as day 5.
Day 7 -
Same as day 5.  Continue with Day 5 for at least a week or 2 before
adding treats.  Do NOT start adding toppings.  It will just
encourage the picky eating.  Anytime he gets picky, go back to day
1.

I find this method to be quite effective IF the slave can
stick to the plan.  Some slaves are better trained than others.
For this method, I recommend forgetting your training.

As for
taking pills, we have had multiple dogs for 38 years, sometimes up to 20
adults at a time.  I have NEVER had trouble getting a dog to
take a pill (except one special needs "permanent foster"
who never did allow us to touch him.  we had to roll him up in a
blanket to get a muzzle on  him to groom him or take him to the
vet.).  I open his mouth, tip the head bback, drop the pill far back
on the tongue, hold mouth closed until he swallows (watch for the tip of
his tongue to peek out).  Maybe a cookie when done.  Don't make
a big fuss about it.  Be very matter of fact.

Maybe I am
just a bad slave.

crazy basset lady

MAKE DROOL NOT
WAR

Please take time to visit these websites:
Rebec
Bassets at
www.rebecbassets.com
Basset Buddies Rescue, Inc. at