[Dailydrool] Our Elsinore and young Charlie host a big party

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Fri Nov 12 13:55:33 PST 2010

The description of Truman humping Roland every time he gets excited
about guests coming over reminds me of our Elsinore. She knows
exactly where she stands in the pack, and for a while it was
important to her that outsiders understand and recognize her
position. A few years ago, when young Charlie was still relatively
new to us, it was my turn to host the women writers group I'm in.
They were all hanging out in the kitchen admiring the hounds and
drinking wine when Elsinore suddenly jumped Charlie in the middle of
the group and humped him for a few seconds with determined emphasis.
Then she hopped off, swept her gaze across her dumbfounded audience
as if to say, "Got that?", and strode off. Most of her audience
aren't dog people, so they were really thrown by a female humping a
male. I'm not sure they bought my explanation about Elsinore wanting
them to be clear about her outranking Charlie and all the privileges
that come with that ranking. To them, I'm afraid it just looked as if
Elsinore were either confused or a nymphomaniac.

Fortunately she didn't do any humping (at least that I could see)
last weekend when we had Ken's congregation over for our annual open
house. Oh, how I hate these things! They involve a tremendous amount
of work for me in the form of careful cleaning to ward off potential
criticism ("Look Mildred, the Minister's Wife doesn't dust the top of
her oven hood, and it looks as if her curtains haven't been washed or
ironed in years." "They just don't make Minister's Wives the way they
used to, Myrtle.") and cooking a noontime meal for up to 100 people.
I don't even cook for myself most days! This event always stresses me
out a lot, and I'm so glad it's all over with for another year.

But it did go well this year, and I'm guessing about 70 people come
through. Elsinore spent the party methodically working her way from
one guest to the next, nudging for pats and giving them unblinking,
penetrating stares designed to compel them into giving her whatever
was on their plates. I put a sign on the table by the platter of
brownies asking people not to feed the bassets, and I think everyone
honored that request, though there were a few children who dropped
crumbs the bassets were happy to clean up for them.

Toward the end of the party, Elsinore happily showed off a few of her
dance moves and got lots of applause. I could tell she was quite
pleased by the response. But then, as she's told various pet
communicators, she's a very good dancer. Such healthy self-esteem she
has! Charlie didn't want to be left out, so he showed everyone how he
can roll over and over without even being asked. I love the way he
looks so earnest when he rolls over, as if it's an action that should
be taken very seriously.

Charlie was surprisingly wound up at the start of the party this
year. He wasn't this overexcited any of the previous years, and for
awhile I thought I might have to crate him until he could collect
himself. I think what happened was that two young boys (maybe age 7
or 8?) were among the first to arrive, and I'm positive Charlie
remembers having a little boy of his own, Andrew, when he was with
his first family. The two times Charlie and Andrew got to see each
other not long after we took over Charlie's care, it was clear that
they both really loved each other. Thank goodness it wasn't a case of
Andrew mistreating Charlie and causing Charlie to hate all little
boys forevermore. In fact, just the opposite happened--Charlie had
such a good experience with a little boy that now he loves them all.

Unfortunately, one of the little boys said he's afraid of dogs, and
neither boy paid any attention to Charlie, which made me feel badly
for him. But he got over it and within half an hour had calmed down
enough to be a delightful host. About half way through the party,
Charlie became so calm that he went to sleep on his back, all five in
the sky, in the middle of the kitchen floor while surrounded by four
tall men with very large feet. That's called living dangerously. The
men were aware of Charlie, though, and careful not to step on him.
They thought he looked cute, which, of course, he did.

After everyone left, Elsinore was revved up for hours, ready to keep
on entertaining until the wee hours of the morning. She's 8 or 9, and
you'd think she'd be slowing down a bit now, but she retains the
intensity and energy level of a terrier. It's almost impossible to
wear her out. Charlie, on the other hand, acted as exhausted as his
two humans felt. He ate dinner and fell into a deep sleep for the
rest of the night. I think both hounds would like to entertain every
day, but I'm just as glad to keep it to once a year. Especially if
such housecleaning and cooking are involved. Oh to be able to afford
a cleaner and catering services!

Elizabeth