[Dailydrool] Shelter Challenge, possible exciting news, ramp advice

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 11:02:05 PST 2010

Aloha, The Shelter Challenge will be drawing to a finish in mid December.
Montana Basset Rescue is still the leader in Montana. We are succeeding so far,
pooling drool power for the greater good of bassets. Coming up to the finish
line, all the rescues will put on a final drive or sprint at the end. We must do
this too. How wonderful would it be if we could win $1000 for Leslie's propane
fund?! So, everyone--go to your Web Search slot; type in "Shelter Challenge". A
list of sites will come on. Click the first one, and the voting page comes right
up along with who you last voted for. Vote for Montana again, then identify the
animal on the next page to confirm. Takes less than two minutes to do. Let's
make a difference. (I was so sad last time that we couldn't pull it off for
either Western Missouri or Florida Basset Rescue). This time we can DO it if we
all pitch in!  Hoo-rah--hoo--rah. Semper fido.

My second "possible exciting news" is that my husband and I have put in a bid on
a fixer upper house short sale here. If we succeed and get it, the basset boys
will have a very large yard to run in, no off-white rugs to ruin, and no
landlady who worries if they bark at all. Whee. We've got our fingers crossed.
Which brings me to the advice part. The house is on the side of a hill up on
stilts, as are many in this area--so there are steps the dogs will have to go up
and down for yard access. Bo hates steps. There is a back walkway and steps
which is totally rotted out and will need to be replaced. I am thinking we
should replace the back access with a long ramp--like wheelchair access
almost--which would be for the dogs. (people would use the front steps). We
would need to design it, so I'm asking for input. How wide? How not steep? (30
degree angle?) If made out of wood, should it have a ridged rubber runner down
it for no sliding? I know it would need a low railing or Bo would fall
off--that's just the way Bo is. I also know we'd need to install lights down
it--also the way Bo is. Any thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated.
Mahalo, Val, Bo, and Harley