[Dailydrool] Long ramps for bassets

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 12:59:07 PST 2010

-------------------

To Val Brewer, asking about ramps:  our new house has a 6-foot drop
from the deck to the yard.  So Noel built a basset ramp.  THere are a
couple of pics of it here:
http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/477171/20091226/140733.jpg
http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/477171/20091226/140745.jpg
http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/477171/20091226/140804.jpg

Basically, it's 18 inches wide, with a 2x12 nailed along the side to
form a low wall.  We also nailed furring strips (1 inch by 2 inch
boards) along it every foot or so to serve as "foot stops" to provide
added traction.  Old dogs and young pups go up and down it with equal
ease.

I have also seen much fancier ramps at two different houses of basset
owners I know.  In both cases, these are switch-back ramps, that form
three levels, with a landing at the turn of each level.  These ramps
are 2 feet wide or so, and are at a gentler angle, since they wind
back and forth.  Botht hose ramps were professionally built by
contractors.  I think one slave told me theirs cost about $2k.

--
Menzie Campbell
Save a Life - Don't Shop, ADOPT!