[Dailydrool] Adopter from MA--apartments

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Mon Nov 22 12:08:24 PST 2010

> ... and is an apartment renter she says she has a fenced yard??? I
> do not know a lot about MA never been there but in Kansas City we
> have no fenced yards in apartments  unless you call a deck a fenced
> yard.

I sent a reply to Chris but then thought that perhaps other rescue
groups might be interested in the apartment question. There may be a
tendency when a prospective adopter says they live in an apartment to
visualize a complex with multiple units in a series of blocks set
around parking lots, with maybe a pool off on the side. But sometimes
an apartment is part of a regular house. Old Victorians are often
divided up into apartments by floor because they're too big for a
single family to keep up with these days. My mother used to rent the
first floor apartment of an old house. From the street it looked just
like a house, but inside it was divided into three apartments by
floor with a regular internal staircase. Her address was 304 Park
Avenue, Apartment 1.

A lot of the houses on my block are brick bungalows built in the
1920s that were turned into apartments in the 1970s. Most of them
have been turned back into single residences as part of the
gentrification process, but some have retained their apartments.
Across the street and next door to me are bungalows that have
finished attics serving as apartments. You reach the door by going up
a metal fire escape on the side of the house.

The people in the bungalow apartments on my block have access to the
fenced-in backyards behind the houses. They have to take the dog down
the fire escape and through the back gate, but they're able to let
their dogs use the yards. The woman who used to live in the apartment
of the house next to me had a large, overweight lab who eventually
had to go to another home because he could no longer manage the steep
fire escape steps. But while he lived in that apartment, I'd often
look out my back window and see him hanging out in the fenced-in
backyard with his human. The landlady for that house is admirably dog
friendly.

So if someone submits an application for a basset and gives you an
apartment address you're concerned about, ask for a description of
the apartment and the building it's in. It may turn out to be a
favorable set-up, such as the first floor of a turn-of-the-century
Dutch Revival house with a dog-friendly landlord.

Elizabeth