[Dailydrool] Noah update

Wendie Prince houndsabound at att.net
Tue Nov 23 05:19:21 PST 2010

Last night went smooth,  I am sure due to mega drool!
Thanks!

I just dropped Noah back at the vet and after a lot of time waking up
thinking about it, and checking on Noah, who slept very well,  I made the
decision to go ahead with the tacking of the stomach today.
I was lucky yesterday, to be home and I think the fast response is why his
stomach did not get into the full 360 twist, which was good.  But I am not
home 24/7 and I truly believe that a bloat is just a matter of time, once
they have already bloated.  This is my third bloat hound, and I guess I have
just come to see, you don't mess around with it.
Bessie, our first hound who bloated, did so on water.  Her belly just
expanded and looked like a basketball.  We had no clue as to what was going
on and watched her as the water that she had drank, just started coming out
by itself. We didn't take her to the vet, we were damn lucky as her tummy
didn't twist.  Even after that, I had no clue as to what had happened, never
told the vet, didn't think I needed to.  Bessie was our first basset, I was
new to them,  I was ignorant.   I went to my first BHRG BASH,  this had to
be back in 2002, or 2003, and she bloated the Friday night, and spent the
entire time in the ER.  Lucky for me, there were seasoned basset folks there
who saw what was happening and she got to the ER in time to be saved.  But
even after she had her stomach tacked,  she bloated,  3 more times that I
can recall clearly,  2 of those ended up at the ER to help get the gas out.
But she was lucky her stomach was tacked as it was far less life
threatening.  With Bessie,  we actually patted her tummy after each meal and
made her burp 2x before she could go on her way.  She always inhaled a lot
of air as she ate her food.
We fed three smaller meals each day and watched her water intake. Nothing we
ever did feeding wise, curbed her wanting to inhale all her meal.
Mona bloated this past May, and her tummy flipped 360,  surgery was done at
the ER.  She has not bloated again,  but we watch her after meals like a
hawk.
 From my experience,  you do not second guess bloat,  go to the vet as fast
as you can.  It can be life or death for them.
I will let you all know when Noah is through his surgery,  I expect it to be
just fine,  he was feeling pretty good after his rest.  Scooter went with
him, and offered to get her teeth cleaned to keep him company today.  Such a
darling Beagle she is!  LMAO!  I am off this week, so is a good time, if
there ever is,  to have this done.  I can care for him, as he heals up.

Drool to all,

wen and the Bounders
www.seniorhoundsabound.org <http://www.seniorhoundsabound.org/>