[Dailydrool] Dog food change

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Tue Nov 23 05:27:33 PST 2010

For those of you who buy Enhance food from Arkat distributors, they are changing the formula!  The feed mill where I buy my food will no longer be carrying the product because he is pretty good about carrying feed of a certain quality and not carrying junk.  I trust his judgment.

Here is the scoop:  About a year ago Arkat was bought out by DAD's (one of the worst dog food brands you can buy at every crappy store out there) and their name has changed to Ainsworth Pet Nutrition.  They are now in the process of changing their formula for the Enhance dog food line, but have yet to tamper with the VF (Veterinarian Formula) line.  Since I use both these brands I am now looking for good cheap food.  The closest comparative food is Diamond (the same as Kirkland from Costco, just labeled for the Costco brand) but it gives all my dogs the runs, so I will have to look elsewhere.

Looking at the ingredients list of the new food, it doesn't seem all that bad on the surface.  I will have to talk to my distributor more to find out what he is really concerned about and report back to you.  The package will change with the new formula so users will see the difference immediately and know that something has changed.

Buy up any of the old bags (without the dog picture on it) and prepare for a slow change of feed. OR, you can send them to me so I can feed my dogs for a while longer yet :)
Gaylene