[Dailydrool] Bonded pairs & breeders

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 07:41:40 PST 2010

I've never had a litter of puppies but we have had bonded pairs through our
rescue. We believe that my little foster girl, Angel, was part of a bonded
pair. She was found with a male basset who apparently had been hit by a car
and ultimately had to PTS. The gal who picked Angel up from the shelter had
seen her a few days before and was really shocked at the difference in
Angel's personality in such a short time. She had gone from an exuberant,
happy little dog to a hunkered down, sad little thing. She was totally
depressed by the time she came to us and we're sure that she and the male
basset were a bonded pair. In rescue, we do what we have to do but BaRCSE is
really knocking themselves out to keep our senior bonded pair together. Yes,
we know how hard it is to adopt out a senior dog much less two seniors to
one home but that's what we're trying to accomplish. And no, we haven't had
any takers at this point even though Maggie and Moe have been with us for
months now (you can see them at barcse.org). I saw how sad a very young
hound was after having her mate taken from her. I can't imagine what it
would do to our senior pair to be parted from each other. We've been so
fortunate because Maggie and Moe's foster family has been wonderful to them
by taking the pair knowing full well that these two may be forever fosters.
I do think that it's probably a little easier to part a younger bonded pair
but I would surly make sure that the dogs separated from a bonded pair go
into a home that has another dog. The change in Angel's attitude when she
saw the Houndettes told us a lot about her. It was obvious that she was used
to being part of a pack. You could see the relief written all over this
little hound when she saw our crowd here so we're making sure she's going
into a home where there is another dog.

Sandi, kudos to you for being a responsible breeder. I so admire you true
breeders who are all about your hounds and improving the breed, not about
the money. Our Suzy was amost five months old when she came to us from a
young woman who couldn't handle her any longer and the young woman also
had Suzy's papers with her from her "breeder". It specifically said in the
contract that the breeder WOULD NOT take her back for any reason! I hate to
even put this person in the same classification as those of you genuine
breeders who are all about the hounds. So from me and a lot of other
rescuers out there, thanks for the terrific job you do!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
and our little foster hound, Angel